Fire displaces Smithsburg man

April 30, 2010|By DAN DEARTH
  • Firefighters and emergency personnel stand in front of a residence on Bayer Drive in Smithsburg after extinguishing a fire in the home, Friday.
Colleen McGrath, Staff Photographer

SMITHSBURG -- A fire Friday afternoon displaced a Smithsburg man after flames ripped through the second story of his home at 12000 Bayer Drive off Md. 64.

Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Chris Rohrer said the state fire marshal determined that a burning incense candle caused the fire. The damage was estimated at about $75,000, he said.

"We're going to notify the Red Cross to try and find (the homeowner) some assistance," Rohrer said.

The house is owned by Jerry L. Verdier, according to Maryland tax records.

Rohrer said firefighters arrived at the scene about 2:30 p.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the front of the house.

Firefighters from several companies took about 15 minutes to knock down the flames, Rohrer said.

An exhaust fan was placed in a second-floor window to ventilate the building.

Smoke stains could be seen on the outside of the second floor of the house.


In addition to Smithsburg, fire companies that responded were Mount Aetna, Funkstown, Leitersburg and Waynesboro, Pa. Smithsburg EMS and the Washington County Emergency Rehab Unit also responded to the scene.

The Herald-Mail Articles