Advertisement

Library plaque moved to synagogue

April 28, 2010
  • The social hall of B'nai Abraham Synagogue in Hagerstown was packed on a recent Sunday morning for the final and biggest brunch turnout of the year, organized by the congregation's Lifelong Jewish Learning Committee.
Submitted photo,

The social hall of B'nai Abraham Synagogue in Hagerstown was packed on a recent Sunday morning for the final and biggest brunch turnout of the year, organized by the congregation's Lifelong Jewish Learning Committee.

In attendance were Sen. Donald F. Munson, R-Washington; Mary Baykan, Washington County Free Library director; and guest speaker Edward C. Papenfuse, Maryland state archivist and commissioner of land patents.

Gerald Falke of Congregation B'nai Abraham accepted the State of Maryland Thomas Kennedy plaque, which normally graces the walls of the Western Maryland Room at the library.

Due to the extensive library construction project, the plaque, presented by Baykan, is expected to be on loan to the congregation for the next two years and will be prominently displayed in the synagogue.

Falke introduced Munson, who along with former legislator Casper Taylor and a few local citizens, was responsible for the creation of the plaque.

Advertisement

After a few words of appreciation to Munson for his work in the Maryland General Assembly for the past 35 years, and his efforts on behalf of Israel and American Jewry, the program was turned over to Papenfuse, who gave a presentation on Thomas Kennedy, the Scottish Washington County delegate who was, almost single-handedly, responsible for passage of "The Jew Bill" in 1826, thereby removing the remaining civil disabilities preventing Jews from holding political office in Maryland.

The take-away messages were "personal involvement in the political process" and "faithful adherence to one's convictions."

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|