Residents escape State Line mobile home fire

April 04, 2010|By JENNIFER FITCH
  • A firefighter sprays a porch railing at the scene of a trailer fire in the State Line Mobile Home Park off Mason-Dixon Road Sunday
Ric Dugan, Staff Photographer

STATE LINE, PA. -- Fire ripped through an Antrim Township, Pa., mobile home on Sunday, destroying the home but only after the occupants evacuated safely.

Firefighters were called to State Line Mobile Home Park, 15673 S. Young Road, at 3:30 p.m. Once there, they found flames consuming the home at Lot 25.

"Coming up Interstate 81, I saw heavy smoke," said J.R. Koons, deputy chief for Greencastle (Pa.) Rescue Hose Co.

The mobile home park's owner and general manager said the home was occupied by a family with the last name Dodson. They said a woman, a girl and a boy lived in the home.

When interviewed, Koons said he hadn't yet talked to the family members to ask if they wanted to the assistance of the American Red Cross. He described the home as a total loss.

A fire marshal would be investigating how and where the fire started, Koons said.


Rick Chilcote was visiting his mother at a neighboring lot. He feared the fire would spread to his mother's home.

"It just totally shocked me," Chilcote said of his reaction to seeing the smoke.

Koons said some firefighters from the 10 responding departments were charged with preventing the fire from reaching other homes. Others dragged out propane tanks and an aerosol can that were the source of exploding sounds.

Mobile home park owner Howard Sheeley gave the firefighters credit for getting the blaze under control quickly.

"They were on the spot," he said. "They did a good job."

The mobile home park near Keystone RV Center formed in 1963. Sheeley purchased it in 1982 and doesn't remember any other fires.

Manager Jack Gsell said he went to the lot soon after the fire broke out and encouraged the family to move the vehicle for which they had keys. Heat melted the front of a Jeep Liberty and a pickup truck, and it caused the vehicles' windshields to shatter.

No injuries were reported, Koons said.

The Herald-Mail Articles