Advertisement

Holiday safety tips

December 01, 2009

SMITHSBURG -- The Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. wishes everyone a happy and safe holiday season, and provides the following safety tips:

o Keep your Christmas tree as far away as possible from any heat source, including fireplaces and heat vents. Heat will quickly dry out a tree, making it extremely flammable to any source of ignition.

o Never put holiday tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove.

o Discard a tree once it becomes dry and is losing needles.

o Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wire, bare spots and gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets or excessive wear.

o Do not overload outlets. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.

o Do not leave holiday lights unattended.

o Avoid using lit candles. If using candles, make sure they are in stable holders and place them where they cannot easily be knocked over.

Advertisement

o Never leave the house while candles are burning.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|