Waynesboro prepared to request funding for Cemetery Ave. project

November 17, 2009|By JENNIFER FITCH

WAYNESBORO, Pa. -- The Borough of Waynesboro has received a state permit that serves as the final piece needed to complete an application for $7.1 million in loans and grants.

The borough already made two submissions to Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority's PENNVEST board. They were returned because the storm-water project for Cemetery Avenue lacked a Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection permit, Borough Engineer Kevin Grubbs said.

The permit recently arrived, a year and a half after the municipality applied for it, he said.

Now the borough must wait until March 23, the date selected for PENNVEST board's next round of consideration. PENNVEST provides grants and low-interest loans for sewer, storm-water and drinking water projects.

Borough Manager Lloyd Hamberger said the application paperwork is an inch thick.

"It's labor-intensive and time-consuming," he said of the application process.

Yard and home flooding during fast and heavy rains prompted the Waynesboro Borough Council to consider improvements to its undersized storm-water system. Residents near Cemetery Avenue showed the council pictures of major flooding incidents, like one on June 26, 2006, that left standing water in yards and popped covers off manholes.


Dennis E. Black Engineering recommended installing new concrete arches under Maple and South Church streets. Grubbs said the outfall's banks will be widened, but a classification of "navigable waterway" from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the DEP means no changes can be made to the outfall's bed.

To be fully successful with improvements to the outfall along Cemetery Avenue, the borough must also fix sections of the storm-water system that send water to the south end of town. It already replaced inlets on Center Square during an unrelated construction project there.

Altogether, the price tag exceeds $7 million, Grubbs said. If awarded, PENNVEST could reimburse more than $150,000 already spent on engineering, he said.

"Everything we need is in place now. ... We're going to wait and see what happens in March," Grubbs said.

The Herald-Mail Articles