Gaver said organizers are not going to ask town residents for cookies for the event this year due to a lack of participation and concern about the H1N1 flu.
Also new this year will be an expanded craft show at Funkstown fire hall, from 14 to 26 tables of crafts, Gaver said.
The fire hall will have its hot roast beef dinner for $7, starting at 5 p.m. There also will be food for kids and a bake sale.
Hebb Motors, the former Nash dealership, will be the town landmark featured on a new glass ornament this year. The ornament costs $7.50 and will be available at Town Hall on Dec. 11. Jeff Cooper drew the image of Hebb Motors.
The Olde Tyme Christmas cookbooks, which cost $7.50, are available at Town Hall now.
Entries for the ornament-decorating contest, for ages 12 and younger, should be dropped off upstairs at Town Hall between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10, Gaver said. The ornament should not be larger than 3 inches in any direction and must have a hook to hang it on a tree. No batteries, electric or candles are allowed. The top three finishers will get prizes from Prime Outlets at Hagerstown.
There are three categories for this year's house decoration contest: whole house, front door and porch, and yard, Gaver said. The winner of each will receive $50. The contest will be judged the evening of Dec. 11.
Luminaria for the event will be packed at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 18, at 222 E. Chestnut St., for those who want to help. If you want to help distribute the luminaria, go to that address at 8 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 28.
For more information, call 301-739-4212 or go to www.funkstown.com.
If you go ...
Schedule of events for Olde Tyme Christmas on Friday, Dec. 11:
- 6, 6:15, 6:30, 6:45, 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, 8 and 8:15 p.m. -- Wagon rides.
- 6 to 9 p.m. -- Face painting
- 6 to 8:30 p.m. -- Buy $1 raffle tickets for a chance to win one of several donated items.
- 6 p.m. -- Kindergarten class sings, St. Paul's Church
- 6 p.m. -- Yule log bonfire, Funkstown Community Park
- 6 p.m. -- Bill and Joyce Weaver perform Celtic music, Town Hall
- 6 to 9 p.m. -- St. Paul's Church will be open for visitors. Living nativity in front of the church.
- 6:30 p.m. -- Piano recital by up to seven young artists, Town Hall
- 6:30 p.m. -- E. Russell Hicks Middle School Band performs, location TBA
- 7 p.m. -- Santa arrives, Town Hall
- 7:30 p.m. -- Bill and Joyce Weaver perform Celtic music, Town Hall
- 8:30 p.m. -- Winners of the ornament, decorating contests and raffles will be announced, Town Hall