MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- The house of Capt. John Kerney, Huxley Hall, was marked with a bronze plaque by the National Society Colonial Dames XVII century, Sir George Calvert Chapter of Maryland. It is one of the highest honors awarded for a house.
The home is on Old Mill Road in Martinsburg.
Kerney, who was born in 1745 and died in 1805, served with Captain Abraham Shepherd in a company of riflemen defending Fort Washington on Long Island, N.Y. The battle was a serious defeat for Gen. George Washington and the Continental Army. Kerney "suffered long and painful imprisonment under the British" after which he returned to Berkeley County and was appointed lieutenant in a state regiment commanded by Col. Joseph Crockett.
Kerney married Susannah Tabb and they had nine children. Kerney held the position of justice of the peace and was a member of the County Court.
He was buried with his family on land he owned which is now the site of Martinsburg Mall. Upon reinterment by Crown American Corp., to make room for a parking lot, he was positively identified by the Revolutionary War uniform he was wearing.