Rebels swept aside in 3A West playoffs

October 29, 2009|By JACK HILL III/Staff Correspondent

HAGERSTOWN -- South Hagerstown's boys and girls soccer teams were eliminated from the Maryland Class 3A West playoffs in the first round Thursday night at School Stadium.

The Rebels girls were defeated 3-1 by Kennedy in the opener, before the boys fell 5-2 to Seneca Valley in the nightcap.

* In the girls game, South (1-11-1) got on the scoreboard first on senior defender Kaitlyn Bosco's penalty kick in the 11th minute.

In the 23rd minute, Kennedy (8-7) tied the game on Breauna Walker's unassisted goal through the middle. The game remained tied into halftime.


The Cavaliers took the lead for good in the 56th minute when Sophie DeWaal scored through the middle on an assist by Michelle Rivas. They made it 3-1 in the final two minutes when Jhanet Chambergo scored from the right side on an assist by Hiba El-Kabli.

"It was a close game," South coach Scott Buhrman said. "The girls played with a lot of heart. They never gave up. Our defense did a great job. We made some last-minute adjustments for this game. The team adopted to those adjustments well. That effective defense is indicative of a high-functioning team."

Rebels freshman Courtenay Love made 12 saves, while Kennedy keeper Tina Hartley made 11 saves. The Cavaliers outshot the Rebels, 24-15.

"I think we played well in the second half," Kennedy coach Rita Boule said. "We started possessing a little bit more and winning the 50-50 (balls). I think we were outplayed in the first half."

* In the boys game, Seneca Valley (5-5-2) came out scoring from the get-go with three tallies in the first 10 minutes.

Andrew Ahimbisibwe scored on an assist by Oscar Velasquez in the third minute. A minute later, Kevin Echegaray scored unassisted. Austin Ahimbisibwe added an unassisted goal in the ninth minute.

In the 23rd minute, Andrew Ahimbisibwe scored a unassisted goal for a 4-0 halftime lead.

Jorge Suarez's free kick in the 47th minute gave the Screaming Eagles a 5-0 lead.

South (7-7) got on the scoreboard in the 64th minute when Dusten Myers scored on an assist by Ben Stone. The Rebels got their final goal in the 72nd minute when Kwasi Ofosu-Ameyaw scored on another assist by Stone.

"Our team came out flat," South coach Marc David said. "They were faster than us. They came out and scored and put us behind. After that, it was all downhill from there. Overall, we had a very successful season. My team met and exceeded my expectations. This was the best team that I have had since I have been here."

The Screaming Eagles outshot the Rebels, 15-8.

"I told our players to go after them early," Seneca Valley coach Nougais Metellus said. "I wanted to put them away in the first 10 minutes of the game. All of my strikers scored tonight. The kids played really smart soccer tonight."

The Herald-Mail Articles