Advertisement

Hagerstown City Council briefs

October 28, 2009|By ANDREW SCHOTZ

City approves $134,000 worth of contracts for police department



HAGERSTOWN -- The Hagerstown City Council on Tuesday approved $134,000 worth of contracts for the city's police department.

The contracts were:

o $85,806 to Pelican Mobile of Hanover, Md. -- through a state contract -- for 21 Panasonic Toughbook semi-rugged laptop computers, with accessories and warranties, to use in police cruisers.

o $24,762 to McEnroe Voice & Data of Hunt Valley, Md., for cameras and equipment to record interviews with people suspected of committing crimes. The equipment is fully funded through a state grant, according to a memo explaining the purchase.

o $10,556 to SPEX Forensics of Edison, N.J., for an alternate light source for the Western Maryland Regional Crime Lab to examine "biological evidence, bruise/bite mark evidence, fingerprint evidence, and various types of trace evidence," according to a memo explaining the purchase. SPEX Forensics manufactures the equipment. The cost also is funded through a state grant. Evident Crime Scene Products of Union Hall, Va., submitted a bid of $10,910.

Advertisement

o $13,169.80 to Nikon Instruments of Linthicum, Md., for a compound microscope with stereoscope and digital capture system. The equipment will let the Western Maryland Regional Crime Lab "screen biological evidence and help determine what items of evidence are suitable for DNA analysis," a memo says. A state grant will cover $12,965, and the city's general fund will cover the rest.

City working with county to repair three bridges on Burhans Boulevard



HAGERSTOWN -- The city and Washington County are planning to work together to repair three bridges on Burhans Boulevard.

The county would be a conduit for the city to get federal funding.

Federal money would pay 80 percent of the costs, and the city would pay the remaining 20 percent.

All three bridges -- two on South Burhans Boulevard and one on North Burhans Boulevard -- cross Norfolk Southern Railroad property.

The city council approved a memorandum of understanding with the county Tuesday.

City eliminates free use of parking decks on weekends, evening, and holidays



HAGERSTOWN -- The city has eliminated the free use of its parking decks on weekends, evenings and holidays.

The city council on Tuesday unanimously approved a new $1 fee for Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, plus weekdays from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Parking at the North Potomac Street deck and the Arts and Entertainment deck had been free during those times.

The new fees will go into effect Jan. 4.

Mayor Robert E. Bruchey II said he's heard from local businesses opposed to the charges and he agrees with them.

Councilman Lewis C. Metzner said he'd rather charge a parking fee than raise taxes.

"It's a tough call, but a dollar is not unreasonable," Councilman Martin E. Brubaker said.

Suns will be allowed to shoot fireworks on a weeknight



HAGERSTOWN -- Next year, for the first time, the Hagerstown Suns will be allowed to shoot fireworks on a weeknight.

The Hagerstown City Council on Tuesday unanimously approved 14 fireworks nights for the Suns' 2010 season, including Opening Day, which is a Thursday.

Councilman William M. Breichner said it was a one-time request from the team and future years only will have weekend fireworks nights, the practice until now.

Renaissance Way formally approved as new name for Cramer Alley



HAGERSTOWN -- The Hagerstown City Council on Tuesday formally approved Renaissance Way as a new name for a road near the Arts and Entertainment District parking deck.

The stretch had been known as Cramer Alley, but the city wanted a new name when the road was widened and opened to two-way traffic.

Bill Baker of Halfway submitted the name Renaissance Way when the city asked the public for suggestions.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|