Advertisement

Shiloh honors 140 years of unity

October 04, 2009|By MARLO BARNHART

HAGERSTOWN -- Four years after the war that split families, friends and entire states, a group of people living east of Hagerstown chose to come together to form the Shiloh United Methodist Church.

In 1869, that stalwart group purchased an acre of land for $150 and began to build the church in the close-knit community then known as White Oak Forest and later, Fiddlersburg.

The memories of Clarence Itnyre -- written down on the 100th anniversary of the church -- were read at Sunday's program, detailing how the community, the White Oak Forest school and the church grew together.

On Sunday afternoon, more than 100 current members and their families gathered at the largely unchanged church to celebrate 140 years of unity, and a history of worshiping and serving the Lord.

Advertisement

Additions were built in 1939 and 1956. Some modern updates, such as a paved parking lot, were added in 1969.

But the sanctuary remains essentially the same. The pews were filled with young and old as they raised their voices in song and listened to stories of the church's early days.

Each person attending was given a large adhesive note on which to draw pictures and write words of inspiration from the day's events, and how God has impacted their lives.

District Superintendent John Rudisill said each of the notes would be posted on the wall of the sanctuary.

Bishop John R. Schol was unable to attend Sunday's festivities, but sent his greetings and congratulations for the 140 years of faithfulness.

Since 2005, C. Wayne Frum has been pastor of the church.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|