Advertisement

Bomb threat causes WAMS evacuation

September 22, 2009|By JENNIFER FITCH

A Waynesboro Area Middle School eighth-grader was in police custody Tuesday after police and school officials allege he made a bomb threat.

Waynesboro Area School District Superintendent James Robertson said the threat was discovered written in a bathroom and the school was temporarily evacuated before noon Tuesday.

School Resource Officer Travis Carbaugh and Principal Brian Richter investigated the incident and identified the boy as a suspect.

Police filed several charges against the boy, including felony counts of "threats of weapons of mass destruction" and terroristic threats. The boy, who was charged as a juvenile, also faces reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct charges.

"Officer Carbaugh did consult with the district attorney prior to any charges being filed," Waynesboro Police Chief Mark King said.

Robertson called Carbaugh's presence in the school since the fall of 2008 "critical to solve this."

"He knows the kids. ... I think having him there was a big plus," Robertson said.

Advertisement

King also praised the efforts of Carbaugh and Richter, saying the cooperation between school and law enforcement officials was to be commended.

A three-year grant from the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency created the school resource officer position. That grant requires local money be contributed toward the officer's salary and benefits.

Carbaugh previously told The Herald-Mail that one of his main goals is to learn the names of each of the 650 seventh- and eighth-graders at the school.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|