Man charged in incident at Hancock home

September 21, 2009|By DAVE McMILLION

HANCOCK -- A Frederick County, Md., man faces assault and burglary charges after a shotgun was fired inside a home and a man was struck several times in the head with the stock of a shotgun during a home invasion in Hancock early Sunday, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

Russell Samuel Harris, 42, of 16701A Raven Rock Road in Sabillasville, is charged with three counts of first-degree assault, four counts of second-degree assault, first-degree burglary and other offenses, according to Washington County District Court records.

Harris was being held Monday night on $500,000 bond at the Washington County Detention Center, according to a jail spokesperson. He was arrested at about 5:30 p.m. Sunday at Chocolate Park Tavern in Cascade, according to Detective C. Barnes.

The man who was struck in the head was lying in a bed, and the bed was covered in blood from the man's injuries, Barnes wrote in a criminal complaint. The victim had injuries to his nose, mouth and jaw, and he had several loose teeth, Barnes wrote.


When the shotgun was fired, it missed a woman's head by about three feet, according to Barnes.

Sheriff's deputies were dispatched to 117 Washington St. in Hancock at 7:53 a.m. Sunday for a home invasion, Barnes wrote. A woman said she was invited to the house at the intersection with Methodist Avenue for a gathering Saturday, according to the complaint.

The woman said she invited Harris because he sometimes went to the tattoo parlor where she worked, Barnes wrote.

Two other people who were at the house said Harris became belligerent when he arrived at the home, and at 2 a.m. he was asked to leave. One man said he removed Harris from the house, according to Barnes.

One of the men in the house said he was sleeping on a couch in the house when he was awakened by a shotgun barrel pressed tightly to the right side of his face, Barnes wrote. The man hit the barrel of the gun, realized the intruder was Harris, and ran upstairs and locked himself in a bathroom, according to the complaint.

A woman in the house said she saw Harris run up the stairs to a room where the man who was hit in the face with the gun stock was sleeping, Barnes wrote. The woman said the man was hit in the head several times before she heard a gunshot, according to the complaint.

She was standing five to eight feet away from Harris when the gun was fired and the shotgun blast missed her head by about three feet, Barnes wrote. The woman's 18-month-old daughter was on the other side of a wall when the gun was fired and shotgun pellet holes "were observed throughout the wall," according to Barnes.

A cell phone and two cameras were reported missing from the house, Barnes wrote.

A police officer saw Harris' black 1999 Chevrolet Suburban at his house at 4:35 p.m. Sunday and followed him to the tavern, according to the complaint.

The Herald-Mail Articles