Hagerstown man charged with impersonating an officer

September 09, 2009|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- A 46-year-old Hagerstown man was in jail Wednesday night after being charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer for the second time in two days, according to West Virginia State Police.

David Eugene Stryker of 10307 Bear Creek Drive also was charged with fleeing in a vehicle after Trooper N.K. Campbell stopped Stryker's vehicle along Interstate 81 in Berkeley County early Wednesday, according to police and court records.

Stryker was in Eastern Regional Jail on a $50,000 bond, records show.

Stryker posted a $2,500 bond Tuesday after he was charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer and reckless driving, according to court records.

At 5:47 a.m. Wednesday, a caller from the I-81 West Virginia Welcome Center near Falling Waters, W.Va., reported to a state police dispatcher that a man was handing out business cards to people and advising them to call him to report drug activity, according to police and court records.


The witness told police the man was dressed like a police officer and was wearing a bulletproof vest, court records show.

Campbell caught up with Stryker about five miles south of the Welcome Center on I-81. Stryker did not yield to the police cruiser's siren and flashing lights, and continued to drive about five more miles, according to court records.

During the pursuit, Stryker told a state police dispatcher over the telephone that he was working for Chambersburg, Pa., police and would not stop because he thought the troopers wanted to kill him, according to Campbell's complaint.

Stryker finally pulled off the highway near the King Street exit, stopped his vehicle and was taken into custody without incident.

On Tuesday, Stryker called state police at 1:30 a.m., identified himself as Tango and told a dispatcher he was speaking with the White House and was working with Virginia State Police on drug interdiction efforts, according to second complaint filed by Campbell.

At 2 a.m., Stryker called state police again and told the dispatcher, "I got my first one. It is a white van driving 125 mph" south on I-81, according to Campbell's complaint.

"Tango further advised that they need to pull their guns on the people in the van" and that the stop needed to be treated as a drug interdiction stop, according to Campbell's complaint.

Before being stopped by police, Stryker was traveling more than 100 mph, according to Campbell's complaint.

"(Stryker) jumped out of the BMW and began to approach the trooper's vehicles yelling that he could not (say) who he worked for, but that he was conducting drug interdiction," Campbell said in his complaint.

Campbell said Stryker was wearing a bulletproof vest with green fatigues and a green shirt bearing the words "Joint Terrorist Task Force" when he was arrested.

In a search of the BMW, police found handcuffs and two-way radios, according to Campbell's complaint.

The Herald-Mail Articles