Boys Soccer Tournament -- Wildcats, Blazers, Hubs get victories

September 05, 2009|By JACK HILL III/Staff Correspondent

WILLIAMSPORT -- North Hagerstown, Clear Spring and Williamsport earned first-round victories Friday in the first round of the Washington County Public Schools Boys Soccer Tournament at Williamsport High School.

The Hubs beat the Warriors 3-2 in the opener, the Blazers edged Smithsburg 3-1, and the defending county tournament champion Wildcats used a stellar defense to blank South Hagerstown, 2-0.

By virtue of their two goals, Boonsboro earned a spot in today's semifinals at North Hagerstown's Mike Callas Stadium as the No. 4 seed. South Hagerstown will play Smithsburg in the fifth-place game at 2 p.m., North Hagerstown will face Clear Spring in the first semifinal at 4, and Boonsboro will square off against Williamsport in a rematch of last year's final at 6.

* North Hagerstown and Boonsboro traded goals before the Hubs got the winner in the 70th minute when Frederick Owusu-Ayim scored from the right side on an assist by Nelson Moreno.


"Our ball movement was the key to our victory today," North coach Glen Singer said. "We created good chances moving the ball around. Boonsboro hung tough. Every time we scored, they answered. We were fortunate to get the game-winner when we did and hang on for the victory."

Nelson Moreno scored the first two goals for the Hubs. Tyler Sterling assisted on the first goal.

Micaiah Jessie scored both goals for the Warriors. The second goal was assisted by Joshwa Haden.

Warriors goalkeeper Paul Jordan made 10 saves.

"On the positive side, Joshwa did a good job with that assist," Boonsboro coach Brad Delauter said. "Mitch Stenersen just had his first day back from injury and he did well."

* Joey Barvir scored on an unassisted goal through the middle as Smithsburg claimed a 1-0 halftime lead.

Clear Spring rallied with three goals in the second half. Alec Long tied the score on an assist by Joel Bates. Mathew Blair gave the Blazers the lead for good with an unassisted goal. Blake Vincent scored the final goal on an assist by Blair.

"I just told them at halftime to relax and work on their first touch," Clear Spring coach Mark Myers said. "I told them to keep their heads up because 40 minutes of soccer is still a long time."

* Bryan Whitmore scored a pair of unassisted goals for Williamsport in the first half. The Wildcats outshot the Rebels, 22-9.

"We came in and our big question mark was getting the right combinations in on defense," Williamsport coach Chris Downs said. "But we were able to work the ball around really well tonight. It was really nice to get that shutout under our belt. I was real pleased that we had a total team effort tonight. We're looking forward to continuing in the tournament and moving forward."

South goalkeeper William Carroll made 12 saves.

The Herald-Mail Articles