Advertisement

Kitchen fire displaces Smithsburg family

September 01, 2009

SMITHSBURG -- A fire in the kitchen of a Smithsburg home Tuesday night caused $50,000 in damage and displaced the home's occupants, the Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. said in a news release.

No one was injured in the fire at 22334 Cave Hill Road, which was reported at 9:11 p.m., Assistant Chief Chuck Johnson said in the release.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke but were able to extinguish the blaze quickly, Johnson said.

The blaze originated as a grease fire on the stove, firefighters were told. It caused extensive smoke damage to the house, Johnson said.

Smithsburg firefighters were assisted at the scene by Smithsburg Emergency Medical Services; the Leitersburg, Mt. Aetna, Funkstown and Waynesboro (Pa.) fire companies; Washington County Special Operations; Washington County Fire Police and Smithsburg Police.

Advertisement

Cave Hill Road is off Md. 66 (Mapleville Road).


View Larger Map

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|