Advertisement

Rice family thanked for donation to St. John's Prep

Contribution to go toward construction of new $29 million school

Contribution to go toward construction of new $29 million school

August 31, 2009

FREDERICK, Md. -- St. John's Catholic Prep presented a lead donor recognition gift to Mrs. Donald B. Rice and Ken Rice in appreciation for their contribution to the school's legacy campaign.

The Rice family shares a long history with St. John's, going back to 1933 when Mary Rice graduated from the school, which was then in downtown Frederick.

The funding will support the construction of a new campus on a 49-acre tract outside Buckeystown, Md., as well as strengthen the school's endowment. The state-of-the-art, 98,000-square-foot facility will allow St. John's to increase its enrollment to 500 students by 2014.

The cost of the construction of the new campus is approximately $29 million, $6 million of which is being raised as part of the legacy campaign. Campaign funds totaling $1 million will be allocated to building the school's endowment for student financial aid, faculty salaries and professional development. The legacy campaign has reached approximately $2.5 million in gifts and pledges toward its $7 million campaign goal.

Advertisement

The gift from the Rice family will go toward four of the mathematic/technology classrooms and the mathematics/science/technology room on the second floor of the academic building. Their gift is a signed Giclee of St. John's School, established in 1829 in downtown Frederick. In 1958, the school outgrew its facility and moved to its location on Butterfly Lane. The Giclee is on canvas, hand painted/embellished by artist Patrick Reid O'Brien.

The gift was presented to the Rice family by school president Jack Campbell and Diane L. Favret, executive director for institutional advancement.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|