Advertisement

Electrical malfunction caused Wolfsville house fire

August 28, 2009

WOLFSVILLE, Md. -- The fire that severely damaged the home of a 90-year-old woman Thursday was accidental, the Frederick County fire marshal's office said in a news release.

Fire and rescue companies from Frederick and Washington counties responded to the fire at around 1:15 p.m. Thursday in the 11800 block of Meeting House Road near Wolfsville.

The woman who lives alone in the home was in the kitchen, smelled smoke, and immediately got outside, the release said.

The woman's brother, who lives next door, heard her screaming and came over to find smoke throughout the house and fire venting from a front bedroom window, according to the release.

Advertisement

The house was equipped with smoke alarms; however, the woman could not say whether or not they were sounding.

Frederick County Deputy Fire Marshal Glenn Ruch said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall in the front bedroom of the house.

The house sustained significant damage from the fire, making it uninhabitable. Damage was estimated at $150,000.

No one was injured, the release said.

Approximately 50 fire and rescue personnel were on the scene and extinguished the fire in approximately 30 minutes.


View Larger Map

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|