Police briefs

August 09, 2009

Hancock man taken into custody after standoff with police

HANCOCK -- A Hancock man locked himself in his home Sunday when deputies attempted to serve a Maryland Department of Natural Resources warrant, police said.

Around 8 a.m., deputies from the Washington County Sheriff's Department arrived at the 4 Fleming Drive home of 49-year-old Ronald Eugene Clark Sr.

Reports surfaced that an assault might have occurred at the Clark home, prompting deputies to call for reinforcements, police said.

Hancock Police Chief T.J. Buskirk said he was called to the home around 9 a.m. Also at the scene were Maryland State Police.


"Around 10:30 or 11 a.m., he walked out and gave himself up," Buskirk said. "There was no trouble."

No emergency equipment was sent to the scene of the incident.

The DNR warrant was for $600, the jail spokesman said.

Pa. man charged with DUI after hitting cones

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. -- A Fayetteville, Pa., man who allegedly drove through a Pennsylvania State Police sobriety checkpoint early Sunday ran over several cones and flares, narrowly missing several troopers who were checking other drivers, police said.

Sidney Lamar Spoonhour, 34, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, possession of drug paraphernalia, driving with a DUI-suspended license, having no insurance or registration, displaying the wrong plate and driving in the wrong lane, police said.

In a press release, police said Spoonhour has three prior DUI convictions and one DUI pending in court. In addition, he has a probation warrant on file, police said.

Spoonhour was taken into custody at a restaurant off U.S. 11 near the checkpoint at 12:30 a.m. Sunday, police said.

Spoonhour was being held Sunday afternoon at the Franklin County jail on a detainer, as well as the new charges, according to a jail spokesman.

No one injured in six-vehicle accident

HANCOCK -- Although six vehicles were involved in a Sunday afternoon accident on Interstate 70 near exit 5 in Hancock, no one was injured, according to emergency dispatchers.

Beginning at 12:12 p.m. -- the time of the first call about the accident -- eastbound traffic slowed and stopped in some instances until the vehicles from the accident were removed from the road.

Around 2:30 p.m., Maryland State Police said traffic was moving again, albeit slowly.

The Herald-Mail Articles