4 arrested in Hedgesville school break-in

July 28, 2009|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD

HEDGESVILLE, W.Va. -- Two men were charged with breaking and entering after they were spotted early Tuesday on the roof of Hedgesville Middle School, according to Berkeley County Magistrate Court records.

Two other people found in a vehicle parked behind the school also were charged in the incident, court records show.

Kenneth Richard Kearns, 25, and Dustin Ray Golden, 26, both of Berkeley Springs, W.Va., were charged with breaking and entering, according to court records.

Angela Louise Johnson, 25, and Richard Riley Kramerage, 18, of Hedgesville, were charged with conspiracy to commit breaking and entering, according to court records.

Magistrate Joan V. Bragg set a $20,000 bond for Kearns and Golden, and a $10,000 bond for Johnson and Kramerage, according to records.


West Virginia State Police Trooper P.S. Kennedy was monitoring traffic on W.Va. 9 about 2:30 a.m. when a motorist stopped to tell the trooper he saw two men on the roof of the school and believed they were trying to break in, according to a complaint filed by Kennedy.

Johnson and Kramerage, who were found in a green Chevrolet Blazer, initially told police they were parked there so Johnson could call her mother, according to Kennedy's complaint.

While speaking to Johnson and Kramerage, Kennedy said Kramerage received a text message from Kearns.

Kennedy said Kramerage allowed him to look through his phone. Kennedy said he found another text message from Kearns saying, "Leave, it's a cop," according to Kennedy's complaint.

Kramerage eventually admitted they were waiting for Kearns and a man they knew as "J.D.," who were inside the school, according to Kennedy's complaint.

At 2:53 a.m., two other state police troopers told Kennedy they spotted Kearns and Golden on the roof in front of the school and they were arrested after being ordered to get off the roof, according to Kennedy's complaint.

Jaimee Borger, director of communications for Berkeley County Schools, said Tuesday that the school district was not aware of any damage caused as a result of the incident.

The Herald-Mail Articles