Advertisement

Hagerstown house fire started in basement workshop

July 24, 2009

A chemical reaction in the basement workshop of a Hagerstown home caused a fire Thursday night that resulted in $20,000 in damages, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said in a news release.

The fire at 13914 Paradise Church Road was discovered by a housesitter and reported at 10:53 p.m., Deputy State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst said in the release.

It took 35 firefighters 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control, Ernst said.

Ernst said the fire was caused by a reaction between chemicals stored on a shelf in the basement workshop.

The home's owner was away on vacation, Ernst said.

The blaze caused $15,000 in damage to the house and another $5,000 in damage to its contents, Ernst said.

No one was injured.

Units from Longmeadow, Leitersburg, Maugansville, Hagerstown Fire Department Engine 3, Special Operations 20 and the Air and Rehab Unit responded to the fire, the release said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|