Advertisement

Around Clear Spring

July 07, 2009|By CHERYL WEAVER

o Read more Cheryl Weaver columns at washingtoncountyliving.com

Diana Bryan achieves master's in music



In May, Diana Bryan, a graduate of Clear Spring High School, graduated with her master's in music in vocal performance from Catholic University of America.

She studied with nationally renowned soprano Sharon Christman.

In her six years at Catholic University, Diana performed six major operatic roles, including the East Coast premier of Ned Rorem's "Our Town," in which she sang the lead role of Emily.

Along with her opera experiences, Diana also performed with Catholic University of America chorus at the Kennedy Center in the Bernstein Mass and sang the Verdi Requiem in the Czech Republic.

Advertisement

Diana is now a private voice coach and piano teacher for Studio Papillon in the Washington D.C., area.

This summer, she will be teaching with SIFTA (Summer Institute for the Arts) in Hagerstown, where she will lead a vocal performance program. Along with teaching, she hopes to audition for operatic productions in the future. She lives in Silver Spring, Md. In December, she will be relocating to Ireland to pursue her career in Europe.

Diana is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Bryan III of Clear Spring.

Volleyball registration



Girls entering sixth, seventh and eighth grade at Clear Spring Middle School in the fall are invited to join the volleyball league. The league will start in early August, but registration is taking place now. To register or to get more information, contact Lisa Shank at 301-842-0842.

Bike fundraiser



On Friday, July 17, Calvary's Kids Child Care Center in Clear Spring will hold a bike-a-thon to raise funds for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. To support this activity, send checks made payable to St. Jude's Children's Hospital and mail them to Calvary's Kids, 12340 National Pike, Clear Spring, MD 21722.

Did you know?



Did you know that the first meeting to organize a volunteer company was held Jan. 3, 1935?

The first fire hall was rented in 1935 and then bought in 1938.

It was used until 1948, and then it was sold to the Town of Clear Spring. It sat where Town Hall now stands.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|