Advertisement

Fire displaces Smithsburg family

July 02, 2009

SMITHSBURG -- A fire late Thursday morning displaced Frank and Wanda Johnson from their home at 13828 Frazier Road, according to a Maryland fire official.

The 11:07 a.m. fire in a second-floor bedroom has been blamed on an overloaded electrical outlet, according to a press release from Deputy State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst, who investigated the incident. The fire was discovered by an occupant of the two-story house.

Firefighters and rescuers from Smithsburg were joined by personnel from Leitersburg, Maugansville, Boonsboro, Wolfsville, Waynesboro, Pa., the Washington County Air and Rehab units and Special Operations.

No injuries were reported.

Mike Mowen of the Washington County Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to the scene and arranged for the couple to get food and clothing.

Advertisement

Mowen said the Johnsons were planning to stay with friends until they could return to their home.

A Washington County building inspector was checking the structural integrity of the home.

Damage was estimated at $700, Ernst said.


View Smithsburg fire in a larger map

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|