Advertisement

Smoldering fire blamed on faulty wiring

June 24, 2009|By KATE S. ALEXANDER

WAYNESBORO, Pa. -- Firefighters from Franklin and Washington counties were able to keep a Wednesday afternoon electrical fire from flaring and destroying a Waynesboro home.

The owner of a home at 321 W. 9th St. reported smoke coming from his basement living room about 2 p.m.

The reported fire was "more of a smolder" as it never flared into flames, the Waynesboro Volunteer Fire Department said.

Faulty wiring high in the basement wall was to blame for the smoldering fire, which damaged the walls and ceiling of the home, the fire department said.

The home sustained an estimated $2,500 in damage, but the department said it still is considered livable.

The department credited the response from multiple departments for being able to control the fire before it engulfed the home.

Firefighters from the Waynesboro Volunteer Fire Department, Mont Alto (Pa.) Volunteer Fire Department and New Franklin (Pa.) Volunteer Fire Department in Franklin County and Smithsburg Volunteer Fire Co. and Leitersburg Volunteer Fire Co. in Washington County responded to the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|