Advertisement

Smoke shuts down emergency room

May 25, 2009

RANSON, W.Va. -- The emergency room at Jefferson Memorial Hospital was shut down briefly Monday morning while firefighters from nine departments cleared smoke from the hospital's second floor.

A motor overheated in the mechanical room for an elevator, Independent Fire Co. Chief Ed Smith said.

Hospital staff prepared to evacuate patients, but the situation was brought under control before that happened, Smith said.

Independent and Citizens Fire Co. were called to the hospital at 6:36 a.m. Because of the smoke and possible evacuation, Smith upgraded the call to three alarms.

The power was turned off to the affected motor and crews used fans to clear smoke. They left the scene on Preston Street at 7:49 a.m.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|