1. When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the people cried, "Hosanna to the Son of ______":
2. After arriving in Jerusalem, what was Jesus' first task at the temple?
b. Making a sacrifice
c. Overthrowing the moneychangers' tables
3. At the Last Supper when Jesus was with his disciples, he told Peter:
a. Before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.
b. Before the cock crows three times, you will deny me.
c. Before the cock crows, you will deny me.
d. You will deny me before the sun rises.
4. Jesus was betrayed with a:
5. Judas betrayed Jesus for:
a. 20 pieces of gold
b. a priestly robe
c. 30 pieces of silver
d. a herd of cattle
6. As the crowds seized Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, one of the disciples fought back by using his sword to inflict an injury on the high priest's servant. What was the injury?
a. Stabbing his side
b. Cutting off his ear
c. Severing a finger
d. Scalping him
7. When Jesus was on the cross, he said, "I thirst." What was he given to drink?
8. What were Jesus' first words to his disciples following the Resurrection?
a. "Peace be unto you."
b. "Why did you not watch and pray?"
c. "Go and teach likewise."
d. "I have done just as I said."
1. b. David. Jesus was from the lineage of King David, the same David who as boy used a slingshot to kill the giant Goliath.
2. c. Overthrowing tables of the moneychangers. These merchants were trying to make excessive profit within the temple walls. Jesus said the moneychangers were trying to transform a house of prayer into a den of thieves.
3. a. Before the cock crows, you will deny me three times. In the Book of Matthew, Peter had followed the crowd to the high priest's palace. Once there, Peter sat with the servants waiting to hear the outcome of the proceedings. Three times people recognized Peter and accused him of being a follower of Jesus. Each time, he denied the charge. After the third denial, Peter began to curse and swear that he did not know Jesus. Immediately, the cock crowed. Peter left and began to weep bitterly.
4. d. Kiss. Judas Iscariot led the chief priests and elders to the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus was praying late at night. Judas said he would kiss Jesus so the priests and elders would be able to identify who Jesus was.
5. c. 30 pieces of silver. Judas tried to return the money to the chief priests and elders by telling them that he had betrayed innocent blood. They answered him: "What is that to us?" Judas cast down the silver on the temple floor and left. Then he hanged himself.
6. b. Cutting off his ear. Jesus rebuked the disciple and told him that all those who take the sword shall perish with the sword.
7. d. Vinegar, according to the Book of the John. It was offered to Jesus on a sponge held on the end of a hyssop stick.
8. a. "Peace be unto you." This is a message worth sharing each Easter and all the year through.
Lisa Tedrick Prejean writes a weekly column for The Herald-Mail's Family page. Send e-mail to her at firstname.lastname@example.org