Advertisement

Dog overcome by smoke is resuscitated

February 26, 2009|By DAVE McMILLION

Hagerstown firefighters responding to a house fire Thursday afternoon resuscitated a dog overcome by smoke, a Hagerstown Fire Department spokesman said.

The 4 p.m. fire at 257 Belview Ave. was caused by something left on a stove in a basement, and the fire damage was mostly contained to the area around the stove, Battalion Chief Randy Myers said. A woman who lived in the house off Pennsylvania Avenue returned home and smoke rolled out the door as she tried to enter, Myers said.

There was a lot of smoke damage in the basement of the house, from which a neighbor rescued a small dog that had been overcome by smoke, Myers said.

The neighbor administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on the dog until Myers took over.

Myers said it is difficult to perform chest compressions on a dog like one would on a person. But he did what he could to help the dog by massaging the animal's sides, he said. He also placed an oxygen mask over the dog's face.

Advertisement

The dog began breathing and used its paw to knock off the oxygen mask, Myers said. Within about 10 minutes, the dog was walking around, Myers said.

The dog was taken to a veterinarian, who said the animal likely was going to be OK, Myers said.

Myers recalled the events Thursday night with a bit of amazement.

"We never know what we will get into," he said.

Myers said he did not know the name of the woman who lived in the house.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|