Advertisement

Jonathan St. work to resume soon

February 17, 2009|By DAN DEARTH

HAGERSTOWN -- The road construction on Jonathan Street probably will continue in March, City Engineer Rodney Tissue told the City Council on Tuesday.

Tissue said the city received bids from seven new contractors to finish the project, which was delayed last year after workers discovered an unusually large concentration of subsurface rock.

In early January, the city severed ties with the original contractor - Ardent Co. of McLean, Va. - because the company couldn't finish the work within the $3.7 million estimate.

Tissue told the council that the seven new bids ranged from $2.1 million to $5.7 million. He recommended that the council accept the lowest bid, which was submitted by Charles E. Brake Co. of St. Thomas, Pa.

Advertisement

Tissue said the new cost of the project would be about $3.9 million, or roughly $200,000 more than the council originally authorized spending. The city already has spent about $1.31 million, which is included in the $3.9 million figure, he said.

The Jonathan Street project includes replacing the subsurface sewer line, and the reconstruction of the street, curb and sidewalk.

Councilwoman Alesia D. Parson-McBean suggested that the city should stipulate in the contract that local labor be used whenever possible.

"I just want to put local people to work," she said.

The council is to choose a new contractor next week during a voting session.

Tissue said if everything goes as planned, construction could resume in March and be completed by the end of this year.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|