Advertisement

Fire damages duplex

February 14, 2009|By HEATHER KEELS

HAGERSTOWN -- A duplex on Charles Street in Hagerstown was damaged in a Saturday morning fire that apparently was started by a portable heater, fire officials said.

The fire at 47 Charles St. was reported about 6 a.m., Hagerstown Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said.

No one was injured, he said.

There were three occupants -- two adults and a child -- home at the time of the fire, DeHaven said.

All of the city fire stations responded to the fire, along with the Emergency Air Unit, Community Rescue Service, Special Operations Team and Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co., he said.

The fire started in a second-floor bedroom and caused substantial damage to the second floor and attic of the wood-frame home, DeHaven said. The house is not suitable to be occupied, he said.

Advertisement

All of the occupants said they had other people they could stay with, DeHaven said.

Investigators still are trying to determine whether the heater malfunctioned or was just too close to combustibles, he said.

There were smoke alarms present, but DeHaven did not know whether they went off.

State property records show the 101-year-old home was worth $62,640 and was owned by Eunice McCall.

DeHaven did not have a dollar estimate for the damage caused by the fire.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|