Advertisement

National votes

February 14, 2009|By Thomas Voting Reports

WASHINGTON - Here's how area members of Congress voted on major roll call votes in the week ending Feb. 13.

HOUSE



$787 billion stimulus



Voting 286 for and 143 against, the House on Feb. 13 approved the conference report on a $787 billion economic stimulus bill (HR 1) designed to create or save at least 3.5 million jobs by fiscal 2011. Tax cuts account for 36 percent of the sum, with the remainder consisting of direct spending such as $120 billion for public works construction and $170 billion to help states pay rising Medicaid costs and preserve their services and jobs. The bill drew support from 246 of the 253 Democrats who voted and none of the 176 Republicans who voted.

In each of 2009 and 2010, the stimulus provides tax credits of $400 for individuals earning up to $70,000 and $800 for families earning up to $140,000, with the funds delivered to most recipients in reduced payroll withholding. The bill also provides $250 one-time payments to Social Security recipients, veterans who qualify for disability payments, and other seniors and disabled persons. The bill contains no earmarks and requires stimulus transactions to be made transparent to the public on a government Web site.

Advertisement

A yes vote was to approve the conference report.

Maryland

Roscoe Bartlett, R-6, no

Pennsylvania

Bill Shuster, R-9, no

West Virginia

Shelley Moore Capito, R-2, no

Rangel removal



Voting 242 for and 157 against, the House on Feb. 10 tabled a Republican bid to remove Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., as chair of the Ways and Means Committee because of conduct being investigated by the House Ethics Committee. As a privileged resolution, the measure (H Res 143) was not debatable. Rangel is under scrutiny for dealings concerning rent-controlled apartment units in his district, his admitted failure to pay taxes on rental income on resort property and his use of his committee post to help the City College of New York raise funds for an academic facility in his name.

A yes vote opposed the motion to strip Rangel of his committee post.

Maryland

Bartlett, not voting

Pennsylvania

Shuster, no

West Virginia

Capito, no

Abuse of the elderly



Voting 397 for and 25 against, the House on Feb. 11 sent the Senate a bill (HR 448) authorizing $9 million over three years for state programs to prevent abuse of the elderly and provide emergency services to abuse victims. In part, the bill would fund special police, court and prosecutorial units for protecting the elderly and direct the Justice Department to establish a national strategy for combating elder abuse.

A yes vote was to pass the bill.

Maryland

Bartlett, yes

Pennsylvania

Shuster, yes

West Virginia

Capito, yes

SENATE



$838 billion stimulus



Voting 61 for and 37 against, the Senate on Feb. 10 passed an $838 billion economic stimulus bill (HR 1) and sent it to a House-Senate conference committee. The Senate then was to follow the House in voting on the conference committee's $787 billion final version.

About 65 percent of the $838 billion consisted of spending through federal agencies or directly to individuals and states in programs such as unemployment benefits and Medicaid. The other 35 percent consisted of business and personal tax cuts, including cuts for nearly 90 percent of middle-income taxpayers. The bill contained no earmarks and required stimulus transactions to be made transparent to the public on a government Web site.

A yes vote was to send the bill to House-Senate negotiations.

Maryland

Barbara Mikulski, D, yes

Benjamin Cardin, D, yes

Pennsylvania

Arlen Specter, R, yes

Robert Casey Jr., D, yes

West Virginia

Robert Byrd, D, yes

John Rockefeller, D, yes

$787 billion stimulus



Voting 60 for and 38 against, the Senate on Feb. 13 sent President Obama the conference report on a $787 billion economic stimulus bill (HR 1) designed to create or save at least 3.5 million jobs by fiscal 2011.

A yes vote was to approve the conference report.

Maryland

Mikulski, yes

Cardin, yes

Pennsylvania

Specter, yes

Casey, yes

West Virginia

Byrd, yes

Rockefeller, yes




Key votes ahead



Congress is in Presidents Day recess until the week of Feb. 23.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|