Damage from two fires tops $1.1 million

February 10, 2009

Two large fires requiring more than 80 firefighters at each caused a total of more than $1.1 million in damage, according to news releases from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office.

o The first fire was reported about 7:30 p.m. at a house at 1713 Hoffmaster Road in the Dargan area, the fire marshal's office said.

Firefighters had returned to the scene at 6:07 a.m. Tuesday because of a rekindling. They were still at the Hoffmaster Road house at about 9 a.m., an emergency dispatcher said Tuesday morning.

A person living in the house noticed the fire and went to neighbors for help, the dispatcher said.

The house was mostly destroyed as of about 10:40 p.m. and a person living in the house was taken to Washington County Hospital for smoke inhalation, the fire marshal's office said.


The estimated damage was $100,000 to the structure and $50,000 to its contents, the release said.

Eighty-three firefighters from the Potomac Valley, Sharpsburg, Boonsboro, Rohrersville, Williamsport, Brunswick, Jefferson, Middletown, Md., Shepherdstown, W.Va., Bakerton, W.Va., and Loudoun County, Va., companies responded.

The fire began in a bedroom. Its cause is under investigation, the release said.

o The second fire occurred about 9:30 p.m. in a large barn at 20112 Beaver Creek Road owned by Lynn Kendle, the fire marshal's office said.

Passers-by and neighbors saw fire in the structure and heard explosions coming from it, an emergency dispatcher said.

The fire destroyed the 40-by-160-foot wood frame pole barn valued at $300,000 and its contents, valued at $700,000. The structure housed six farm trailers, two skid steer loaders and other miscellaneous farm equipment, the fire marshal's office said.

Eighty-five firefighters from Funkstown, Mt. Aetna, Boonsboro, Hagerstown, Smithsburg, Fairplay, Halfway, Clear Spring, Longmeadow, Leitersburg, Independent Hose, Marion, Pa. and Greencastle, Pa., responded, a news release said.

The fire took about an hour to control, the release said. The cause is under investigation.

The Herald-Mail Articles