W.Va. man allegedly tied up daughter

January 26, 2009|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- Police allege a 38-year-old Berkeley County man tied up his teenage daughter with a rope and left her in the basement of their Hedgesville, W.Va.-area home during a domestic altercation Sunday, according to magistrate court records.

The father, who was charged with domestic battery, obstructing a police officer and two counts of forgery of a public document, will not be identified by The Herald-Mail to protect the victim's identity.

Magistrate Joan V. Bragg set a $12,500 bond for the defendant, according to court records.

West Virginia State Police Trooper C.S. Maynard said in a complaint that the girl had open cuts on her chest and rope burns on her wrists when he and Trooper J.R. Barker responded to the Hedgesville-area home Sunday evening to investigate.

The father told police that his daughter is 16, Barker said Monday. According to Maynard's complaint, the father told police that he got into an argument with her because she was fighting with her brother.


Maynard said the man admitted to forcing his daughter down the stairs and into the basement, where he said he "tied her up loosely" after she became unruly, according to the trooper's complaint.

The girl told police that she and her brother were arguing Sunday afternoon when her father began fighting with her. She said he forced her down the stairs to the basement, where she fell several times, according to Maynard's complaint.

Later, after being told by her father to go back upstairs to clean, the girl told police she got into another physical altercation with her father and that she was pushed into a door, kicked in the back and down the stairs, and again forced into the basement, Maynard said.

After her father left her there, the girl told police she broke a chair in the basement. Her father returned and tied her hands together with the rope to a two-by-four, Maynard said in his complaint.

The girl said she was able to free herself with a broken knife she found in the basement and fled from the house to a nearby residence, where police found her, Maynard said.

Upon his arrest, the defendant did not sign his real name on fingerprint documents and used an alias, Maynard said in his complaint.

The Herald-Mail Articles