Fire victim in critical condition

January 12, 2009|By ERIN JULIUS

HAGERSTOWN -- A Hagerstown woman remained in critical condition at the Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore Monday after firefighters found her unconscious in a second-floor hallway at her home Saturday morning.

The fire at 112 Calvert Terrace was reported at 7:51 a.m. Saturday, Hagerstown firefighters said Monday afternoon in a news release.

Yasmine Sill was taken by ambulance to Washington County Hospital and later transferred to the Shock Trauma Center. Tax records show her first name is Yasmen.

Benjamin Sill, who fire officials believe to be Yasmine Sill's husband, was in good condition at the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore, a spokeswoman there said Monday afternoon.


Parker Sill, who neighbors have said is Benjamin and Yasmine's son, was taken to Washington County Hospital Saturday and later released, firefighters said.

Allen Carpenter, one of the firefighters who found Yasmine Sill, was burned on his face during the rescue, fire officials said. He was taken to Washington County Hospital and later released.

Two of the Sills' neighbors, who assisted the family before firefighters arrived Saturday morning, were taken to Washington County Hospital for treatment of exposure to the smoke and heat. Both were later released.

A total of 57 emergency personnel from the Hagerstown Fire Department, Community Rescue Service Inc., Washington County Air Unit, Rehab Unit, Maryland State Police Trooper 3, Washington County Special Operations, Hagerstown police and Hagerstown fire police responded Saturday. Rescue personnel were on the scene until about 2 p.m., fire officials said.

Fire Prevention Coordinator Mike Weller said firefighters would be canvassing the area around Calvert Terrace, checking for the presence of smoke alarms and ensuring every home has a working alarm that's less than 10 years old on every level. They will also replace battery-operated alarms with lithium alarms, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles