Man pleads guilty to assault, robbery

January 12, 2009|By ERIN JULIUS

HAGERSTOWN -- A Hagerstown man who took a handgun into a home he was robbing and pointed the gun at a 3-year-old's head, on Monday pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and armed robbery in Washington County Circuit Court.

Mark Anthony Summerville, 24, formerly of 1012 Pope Ave., and another man were charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree assault and other crimes in the home invasion, during which masked men stole prescription medicine and cash from a safe in a Funkstown home.

Brenda Lee Debow contacted the sheriff's department at about 4 a.m. June 28 and said two armed, masked men had broken into her home in the 300 block of South Antietam Street in Funkstown.

On Monday morning in court, Debow told the judge that her 3-year-old granddaughter was afraid when the masked men entered their home. The first-degree assault Summerville pleaded guilty to was in connection with the assault of the 3-year-old.


Debow's 22-year-old daughter told police she was watching TV in the living room when a man in a mask opened the door and pointed a gun at her. One of the men forced her facedown on the couch while the other went back to her mother's bedroom, investigators have said.

Debow heard her daughter calling for help, and she started to leave the room when she encountered one of the intruders.

The man told Debow to open her safe. Four bottles of prescription medication -- including Percocet, OxyContin, a pain reliever and an antidepressant -- were taken from the safe, the prosecutor said. About $500 in cash also was taken.

The man also threatened to kill Debow's entire family if she went to police, the prosecutor said.

Jeffrey Wayne Haynes, 24, of 115 Catawba Place, Apt. 3, in Hagerstown, was also charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree assault and other crimes. He pleaded guilty in December to conspiracy to commit robbery.

Assistant State's Attorney Brett Wilson in court Monday said Haynes has not been sentenced but has provided evidence against Summerville, and said it was Summerville who threatened the child, and Summerville who removed the cash and medication from the safe.

Washington County Circuit Judge Donald E. Beachley deferred sentencing and ordered a pre-sentence investigation completed before he sentences Summerville.

A first-degree assault conviction carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison upon conviction. A conviction of armed robbery carries a maximum of 20 years in prison.

Summerville was being held Monday night at the Washington County Detention Center. Haynes was being held by the state Division of Correction for another case, a deputy said.

The Herald-Mail Articles