It's not that hard to install a tile backsplash, shower surround, countertop or floor yourself. Many a DIY book or Web site can explain how. That doesn't stop us from making mistakes, however. Here are a few ways to solve problems with tile, courtesy of GlassTileStore.com founder Eli Mechlovitz:
· Avoid large tiles in a small space; instead, consider mosaics (they create depth) and iridescents (they bounce light).
· Ride to the rescue of dark, windowless spaces with iridescent white tiles to create vibrancy.
· Update a traditional-feeling space that has a lot of wood with tile in browns and golds.
· Get wild and crazy to infuse a boring space with style; think about small rectangles, "jelly bean" tile and pebble-shaped tile.
· It's trendy to mix colors and also textiles, including glass, stone and mirror.
Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service, www.scrippsnews.com.