Hagerstown fire sends six to hospitals

January 10, 2009|By DAN DEARTH

HAGERSTOWN -- Six people were taken to the hospital Saturday morning after a fire ripped through a house at 112 Calvert Terrace in the north end of Hagerstown.

A woman was pulled from the second floor of the house without a pulse and taken outside, where paramedics performed CPR, Hagerstown Battalion Fire Chief Kyd Dieterich said. The woman was taken to Washington County Hospital and revived, Dieterich said.

She then was flown to R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

Also taken to Washington County Hospital were two other people who lived in the house; two neighbors who tried to help; and a firefighter, Fire Marshal Douglas DeHaven said.

DeHaven said he probably wouldn't release their names until Monday.

Gary Doub, who lives at 120 Calvert Terrace, said he heard "some popping noises around 8 (a.m.)" and went outside to investigate. Smoke was pouring from the house, he said.


Doub said a married couple, Robert and Yasmen Sill, lived in the house with their son, Parker.

Yasmen Sill was listed in critical but stable condition as of 10:30 p.m. Saturday, an official at R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center said.

Parker Sill was listed in good condition at Washington County Hospital, a spokeswoman said. Robert Sill was not listed as a patient.

"(Robert Sill) was just standing there in shock," Doub said. "His face was all black and his beard was singed ... They were good neighbors. They were very quiet, conservative neighbors."

Dieterich said 54 firefighters responded to the fire, which was fully involved when they arrived about 8 a.m.

"We're still looking for a cause," Dieterich said. "It looks totally damaged ... What isn't burned is smoked up so bad ... I don't know what they're going to be able to salvage."

The Washington County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association Emergency Rehabilitation Unit, Community Rescue Service and Hagerstown Fire Police also responded to the scene.

Fire hoses were strewn in the front yard of the 1 1/2-story brick house, and firefighters remained inside, sporadically hosing down hot spots several hours after the fire was extinguished.

The fire marshal said it could take "days" to determine the cause.

The Herald-Mail Articles