Woman killed on Md. 64

December 25, 2008|By DAN DEARTH

HAGERSTOWN -- Dolores Weibel was remembered by friends Thursday as a compassionate woman who did everything in her power to help others.

Weibel, a Hagerstown resident and longtime secretary at Congregation B'nai Abraham, was struck and killed by an SUV at about 10 p.m. Christmas Eve as she walked across Md. 64 near Sun Valley Drive, Maryland State Police said. An investigation showed that Weibel had hit two deer and exited her vehicle before she was struck.

Police said Weibel, 76, was pronounced dead after being taken to Washington County Hospital.

Congregation B'nai Abraham Rabbi Fred Raskind said he was devastated when he received the news Thursday morning that Weibel had died.

"It really hasn't sunk in yet," Raskind said. "This congregation will be affected."

Raskind said Weibel, who attended St. John's Episcopal Church, was hired as the synagogue's secretary more than 15 years ago. Weibel worked diligently to learn Jewish customs to serve more effectively, he said.


"She was very strong willed," Raskind said. "She was a marvelous worker. She treated the congregation like it was hers."

Raskind said he was glad to see Weibel one last time Wednesday, when he gave her chocolate and pears for the holidays.

"She had a sweet tooth," he said. "It was comforting to know she enjoyed them."

Hagerstown City Councilman Lewis C. Metzner, a member of Congregation B'nai Abraham, said Weibel was always "there to help and say a kind word."

"That's sad news," Metzner said. "I've known Dolores for many, many years. She was just a very kind person. Dolores was a rock-steady person."

Weibel was going through a tough time after her husband, Richard, died a few months ago, Metzner said. In addition, Weibel never fully recovered from the untimely death of her granddaughter, Charas Heurich.

Heurich was killed in a car accident in 1997.

"(Weibel) had a lot of tragedy," Metzner said.

Raskind said Congregation B'nai Abraham probably would hold a memorial service to honor Weibel's life.

A state police dispatcher said Thursday that no charges had been filed in the accident.

The Herald-Mail Articles