YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsWva

Police briefs

December 23, 2008

Man's body found on island in Potomac

KNOXVILLE, Md. (AP) - The Frederick County (Md.) Sheriff's Office is investigating a man's death on a small island on the Potomac River.

Authorities say a kayaker found the body inside a tent Sunday morning near Georges Mill.

The dead man's identity had not been determined Sunday. He was believed to be in his early 40s.

The remains have been sent to the medical examiner for an autopsy.

Woman robbed while making deposit at Martinsburg bank

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Police were looking for a man who robbed a woman who was attempting to make a deposit at a BB&T bank off Edwin Miller Boulevard on Saturday.

The suspect was described by the victim as black, about 6 feet 2 inches tall and between 180 and 200 pounds, according to a press release from West Virginia State Police First Sgt. E.D. Burnett.


The victim told the investigating trooper that she had just finished her shift at Arby's at 217 Administrative Drive in Martinsburg and was about to open the drop box at the bank to make a nightly deposit when she was grabbed from behind, Burnett said.

The robber grabbed the bank bag from her arms, causing the victim to spin around and see the suspect, who took an undisclosed amount of money that was to be deposited, Burnett said.

Several state police troopers, Berkeley County Sheriff's Department deputies and Martinsburg Police Department officers could not find the suspect after an extensive search of the area.

Anyone with information can send an e-mail to the West Virginia State Police anonymously at or call investigating State Police Trooper J.D. Schuessler at the Martinsburg detachment at 304-267-0001.

Two men sentenced in W.Va. firearm cases

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Michael Scott Crum, 27, of Kearneysville, W.Va., and Samuel Oral Thorne, 33, formerly of Martinsburg, received prison sentences after entering guilty pleas to being in possession of a firearm as a convicted felon, U.S. Attorney Sharon L. Potter's office announced last week.

Crum was sentenced to five years and 10 months in prison to be followed by three years supervised release. Thorne, now of Columbia, S.C., was sentenced to three years and one month in prison and then three years supervised release, according to a news release.

Crum was previously convicted of grand larceny in 2000 in Jefferson County and Thorne was previously convicted of second-degree assault in Washington County (Md.) Circuit Court, according to Potter's office.

The Herald-Mail Articles