Police briefs

December 20, 2008

Police probe attempted pizza shop robbery

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -The Martinsburg Police Department on Friday released a surveillance video image of a man they said held a knife to the throat of a pizza shop employee Wednesday night but left the business without any money.

The black male suspect is about 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs about 180 pounds. He was wearing a black coat, blue jeans and white shoes when he entered the Domino's Pizza at 1002 Winchester Ave. in Martinsburg about 10:45 p.m., police said in a news release Friday.

After he showed a knife and demanded money without getting it, the suspect leaned over the counter and grabbed an employee, who had a minor injury from the encounter but declined medical treatment.


Officers and a K-9 unit searched the area but were unable to find the suspect who was wearing a Baltimore Orioles hat and a Bud Light towel that covered his face.

Anyone with information about the incident may contact police at 304-264-2100 or Berkeley County Crime Solvers at 304-267-4999.

The image can be viewed on the Police Department's press release Web site at

Men sentenced for drug dealing near schools

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A 26-year-old Martinsburg man was sentenced to nine years and two months in prison for dealing crack cocaine within 1,000 feet of Valley College of Technology in Martinsburg in 2007, U.S. Attorney Sharon L. Potter's office announced this week.

Reginald Jamal Alford entered a guilty plea Sept. 16, 2008, to one count of distribution of "crack" cocaine within 1,000 feet of the school on March 6, 2007, Potter's office.

Alford, who is in federal custody, is expected to be placed on eight years of supervised release after the prison term is completed.

In a separate case, 28-year-old Gebront Gaddy of Inwood, W.Va., was sentenced to eight years and four months in prison after he entered a guilty plea to distribution of cocaine within 1,000 feet of Potomack Intermediate School in Spring Mills, W.Va., on March 11, 2008, Potter's office announced.

Gaddy's sentence is to be followed by five years of supervised release.

The Herald-Mail Articles