Trial set in prostitution case

December 17, 2008|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. -- A Chambersburg woman charged with prostituting two teenage runaways waived her mandatory arraignment and entered a not guilty plea Wednesday in Franklin County Court, according to her attorney, James Reed.

Candy Lee Hubbard, 31, of 61 S. Franklin St., had her case scheduled for the March trial term on two counts each of sexual exploitation of children, a second-degree felony; promoting prostitution, a third-degree felony; and corruption of minors, a first-degree misdemeanor. The charges were filed by the Chambersburg Police Department.

Hubbard's next court appearance will be Feb. 13, Reed said. As of Wednesday, there have been no discussions with the District Attorney's office of a possible plea agreement, he said.

Hubbard has been held in Franklin County Jail since being charged Sept. 30. Conviction of all of the charges could result in a maximum prison sentence of 44 years.


Police filed the same charges against Gregory Ramos, 49, also of 61 S. Franklin St., but he left the area in August while the case was being investigated. After Ramos was charged, police said they believed he might have fled to Delaware.

On July 25, the girls, ages 15 and 17, ran away from the Mountain Valley Center, an agency that takes in juveniles placed by the courts or Children and Youth Services, Detective Sgt. Dianne Kelso said at the time Hubbard was charged.

From Aug. 1 to 4, the girls stayed at the home of Ramos and Hubbard, where men paid Hubbard $30 to $40 to have oral sex with the girls and $50 to $60 for sexual intercourse, police said. The 15-year-old told police she had sex with 15 to 17 men during the three-day period, police said.

The girls were given a place to stay, clothing, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs and condoms, and Hubbard told them not to leave the house during the day because police might see them, the affidavit of probable cause stated.

On Aug. 4, police were told that the 17-year-old was at a house in the 200 block of Lincoln Way West when a 16-year-old boy came to take her back to Hubbard's house. When the girl said she did not want to go, the boy became agitated and said, "you're taking our ... money, she has to go with us," according to police.

The girls told police they began staying with Hubbard, Ramos and the boy July 31. The next day, Hubbard told the girls they needed to earn some money and gave them the idea of trading sex for cash. Hubbard, Ramos and the boy then solicited men, with Hubbard taking in $200 to $300 a day, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles