Indians outlast rival Devils, 56-50

December 17, 2008|By CHRIS CARTER

WAYNESBORO, Pa. -- Few prep events were played in the Tri-State area Tuesday night because of wintry weather.

But very few would have matched the intensity of the boys basketball game between Greencastle-Antrim and Waynesboro.

Greencastle fought back from double-digit deficits twice but came up short in the end as the Indians prevailed 56-50 over their Mid-Penn Capital rivals.

"All you've got to say is Greencastle-Waynesboro, that about sums it up," said Waynesboro coach Tom Hoffman. "You can throw out the records, throw out the stats and throw out quick starts. This game is never really over."

No truer than Tuesday night.

Waynesboro (4-1, 3-0) raced out to a 19-6 lead in the first quarter, a seemingly insurmountable margin to overcome after a sloppy first quarter by Greencastle (1-3, 0-2), which turned the ball over seven times in the opening period.


"We were just really tentative early on," said Greencastle coach Garon Gembe. "We didn't run hard, we didn't defend hard and Waynesboro got out of the gate a lot quicker than we did."

But almost instantly the teams flip-flopped and it was Waynesboro that couldn't protect the ball, losing it six times in the second quarter.

Greencastle capitalized by rattling off a 17-2 run, capped by a Jerrick Gembe 10-footer that gave the Blue Devils a 25-23 lead -- its first of the game -- with 1:03 left in the first half.

Waynesboro salvaged the collapse when Nathan Kauffman got control of a bad pass at midcourt and laid it in just before the halftime buzzer to tie the game at 25-25.

"I tried to stay positive because that's a pretty deflating thing to happen, especially how quickly it happened," Hoffman said. "We watched the lead evaporate before our very eyes."

With those same eyes, the Indians saw the lead grow again.

Senior Tim Null hit three baskets in the third quarter as Waynesboro scored 15 of the first 20 points to forge a 40-30 lead with 31 seconds left in the period.

Null drained nine buckets and finished with a game-high 22 points.

"He's a tough guy to guard because he can step out and shoot, or if he catches it deep we like the odds of him getting to the foul line," Hoffman said. "We want to make sure the offense runs through him. When we do, we're successful."

Despite Null's efforts, Greencastle inched back into the game. Tempers flared with the game tightening up in the fourth quarter and Nathan Pool pulled the score to 51-48 with a 3-pointer from the left wing -- his ninth points of the quarter.

On the next Blue Devils possession, Trevor Ile found Adam Ritchey slicing through the lane and his lay-in cut the score to 52-50 with 37 seconds left.

"I was very proud of our effort. This team has done that a couple of times this season," Garon Gembe said. "We didn't give up, and if we continue to do that, we'll be fine."

Waynesboro sealed the game with four free throws. The Indians hit 11 of 20 in the fourth quarter and finished 15-for-30. Kegan Crider scored seven of his 14 points from the charity stripe and Jamison Walck finished with 10 points for Waynesboro.

Pool ended with a team-high 12 points, Christian Hoover had nine and Ile added eight for the Blue Devils, who hit 6 of 7 foul shots -- their first attempt coming with 7:51 left in the game.

The Herald-Mail Articles