Advertisement

Donations sought for victims of fire

December 15, 2008

CLEAR SPRING -- A fire Sunday that caused major damage to a house at 13331 Independence Road was caused by cooking on a stove, and fire officials are collecting donations of clothing and money to help the family who lived there.

While food was cooking on a stove, people in the home went outside with a puppy, Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Michael Reid said.

The fire spread through the kitchen, Reid said.

David Thompson, an off-duty Maryland State Police trooper, responded to the house and saw heavy fire, Reid said.

Fire crews were dispatched at 5:31 p.m., and more than 50 firefighters and emergency medical personnel responded, officials said.

No one was hurt, but two family cats died, Reid said.

The contents of the house were destroyed, and the Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Department is collecting clothing, gift cards, cash and checks to help Troy and Gina Haws and their 9-year-old son with immediate needs, Reid said.

Advertisement

Troy Haws needs pants size 30x30, large shirts, and size 8 shoes and boots, Reid said.

Gina Haws needs pants size 8 to 12, small or medium jogging pants, small socks, medium or large shirts, small or medium work scrubs and size 7 1/2 shoes.

The boy needs pants size 8 regular to 10 slim, size 8 to 10 underwear, medium or large shirts, size 3 1/2 shoes, size 4 snow boots, a size 10 winter coat, and hats and gloves.

Items can be left at the fire department at 30 Mulberry St. or donors may contact Reid with questions at 301-331-3526.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|