Three enter no-contest pleas in Berkeley County Youth Fair fight

November 25, 2008|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Three members of a Martinsburg family involved in a scuffle with Berkeley County Sheriff's Department deputies at the county's youth fair this summer entered no-contest pleas Monday afternoon to a total of six misdemeanor charges as part of an agreement to resolve the case.

Ned M. Feltner, 61, and his wife, Sharon K. Feltner, both of 17 Pisces Place, and their son, Troy M. Feltner, 35, of 1356 Rock Cliff Drive, appeared before Magistrate Joan V. Bragg with their attorney, Harley O. Wagner.

"It was a very unfortunate incident, which the Feltners very much regret," Wagner said.

Troy Feltner entered no-contest pleas to counts of obstructing a police officer, disorderly conduct and battery on a police officer. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail, but 78 were suspended and the remaining 12 are expected to be served through 96 hours of community service.

He was fined $100 in addition to $184.53 in court costs for each charge and placed on one year of probation.


Ned Feltner entered no-contest pleas to battery on an officer and disorderly conduct and was fined $100 for each charge, plus court costs. Sharon Feltner entered a no-contest plea to obstructing an officer and was similarly fined.

Additional counts of obstructing and one count of public intoxication filed against Troy Feltner were dismissed, as were additional charges filed against his parents.

Police have said the charges stemmed from an argument on Aug. 7, 2008, over the price of a Ferris wheel ticket involving Troy Feltner.

Berkeley County Sheriff W. Randy Smith had said two deputies received minor injuries while detaining the Feltners, beginning with Troy Feltner about 9:30 p.m.

Police said Troy Feltner appeared to be intoxicated and was yelling and trying to get at a volunteer member of the Berkeley County Sheriff's Reserves who contacted a deputy to respond to the Ferris wheel.

When Troy Feltner did not stop yelling, he was asked to leave the fairgrounds, but he didn't, police said. While two deputies were escorting Feltner from the property, a struggle ensued and attempts to handcuff Feltner led to him being subdued with a Taser, police said.

When Feltner was being put in a cruiser, his father ran toward another deputy and began fighting with him, police said.

Ned Feltner had the deputy in a headlock and struck him in the left eye when another deputy intervened and put Ned Feltner on the ground, police had said. Ned Feltner also was subdued with a Taser, police said.

Feltner's wife was charged after she allegedly attempted to strike at least one deputy with a bottle, but another deputy stopped her by grabbing her hand, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles