Man wanted in Hagerstown slaying arrested outside Pa. prison

November 06, 2008|By ERIN JULIUS

HAGERSTOWN -- Authorities in Pennsylvania on Tuesday apprehended a man wanted in a fatal shooting last month in Hagerstown when he took two people to visit someone at a Pennsylvania prison.

Kevin Valentino Franklin, 38, was arrested Tuesday in the shooting death of 36-year-old Larry Boyce, Hagerstown Police Sgt. Paul Kifer said Wednesday.

Boyce's body was found the morning of Oct. 24 in the driveway of a home at 738 Summit Ave. in Hagerstown.

The shooting sparked a police manhunt that shut down several Hagerstown streets.

Franklin, of 322 S. Potomac St., second floor, Hagerstown, was charged in a warrant with first-degree murder, second-degree murder and other crimes.


Authorities took Franklin into custody Tuesday afternoon in the parking lot of the Westmoreland County Prison in Greensburg, Pa.

United States Marshals earlier had tracked Franklin to Mount Union, Pa., Kifer said in a news release.

Franklin drove from Mount Union to the Westmoreland County Prison on Tuesday so people he was with could visit someone incarcerated there, Kifer said.

Lt. Mike King said Wednesday that Hagerstown police did not know why Franklin had gone to Pennsylvania or what his association was with the people he drove there.

When his two companions went inside the prison, Franklin remained in the vehicle, police said. Authorities approached Franklin, who gave them a false name and three different dates of birth, police alleged.

He was taken into investigative custody and his fingerprints were sent to the FBI, Kifer said. When authorities learned that Franklin was wanted in a warrant on murder charges in Hagerstown, they contacted the Hagerstown Police Department.

Franklin was being held Wednesday in Westmoreland County, pending extradition to Maryland.

King said he was not sure how long it would take for Franklin to be extradited and said his return would depend on whether he waived extradition.

Hagerstown police would not release information about whether they had interviewed Franklin, King said.

Investigators by Wednesday had not found the firearm with which Boyce was shot, and Franklin was not armed when he was taken into custody, police said.

Police said Boyce was shot at about 6:45 a.m., outside near his apartment at 746 Summit Ave., and made it to the point where his body was found.

Franklin also was charged with breaking into Boyce's apartment and shooting his former girlfriend, Amanda Turner, police have said.

He forced Turner into her car and drove her to the hospital, where he dropped her off before fleeing, police alleged.

Turner's injuries were not life-threatening, and King on Wednesday said he believed she had been released from the hospital.

Franklin also was charged in the warrant with attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, first-degree burglary, third-degree burglary and using a handgun in the commission of a felony.

The Herald-Mail Articles