Police say domestic problems prompted Friday's shootings

October 26, 2008|By ANDREW SCHOTZ

HAGERSTOWN -- The man fatally shot Friday morning on Summit Avenue was dating the woman who was shot twice, but survived, a police sergeant said Saturday.

Hagerstown Police Department Sgt. Paul Kifer said police are treating the shootings as a domestic incident, connected to relationships between the three people involved.

The alleged shooter -- Kevin Valentino Franklin, 38, of 322 S. Potomac St., second floor, Hagerstown -- still was missing as of Saturday night.

Police alleged that Franklin shot and killed 36-year-old Larry Boyce Jr. outside Boyce's apartment at 746 Summit Ave. on Friday about 6:45 a.m.


Franklin also allegedly broke into the apartment and shot his ex-girlfriend, Amanda Turner, then forced her into his car and drove her to Washington County Hospital before fleeing, police said.

Police said they have a warrant charging Franklin with first- and second-degree murder, attempted first- and second-degree murder, first- and third-degree burglary and use of a handgun in the commission of a felony.

Online court records show that Franklin has been in and out of court in Washington and Frederick counties in recent years, some of them for cases in which Turner was a complainant.

He has been convicted of theft, assault, forgery and other charges and was sentenced to jail time for some of them.

That includes a two-year sentence in February 2005 after being convicted of stalking on May 11, 2004. Turner is listed as a complainant.

Court records show that Turner obtained a final protective order against Franklin on May 21, 2004.

Records also show that in 1998, Turner was awarded custody of a child she had with Franklin. He was ordered to pay child support.

Kifer said police haven't been able to talk to Turner, who was supposed to have had surgery on Friday. He did not know if she still was at Washington County Hospital.

Turner wasn't listed as a patient at the hospital on Saturday afternoon.

Kifer said Turner was shot twice, causing injuries to her arm, hand and chest.

Boyce was shot twice, Kifer said. Police hadn't determined what type of gun was used.

Police officers found Boyce's body in the driveway of 738 Summit Ave., the property next to where Boyce's apartment was.

Kifer said Boyce was Turner's boyfriend.

A list that The Herald-Mail published almost six months ago, of February 2008 marriage licenses, included Larry Boyce Jr., 35, getting married to Mary Ann Socks, 45. However, Kifer said Saturday that Boyce was estranged from his wife.

Police said Friday that Franklin has ties in Maryland to the Frederick and Cumberland areas. The Hagerstown Police Department was working with police in surrounding areas to try to find him, Kifer said.

The Herald-Mail Articles