Man sought in Hagerstown slaying

October 25, 2008|By ERIN JULIUS and ANDREW SCHOTZ

HAGERSTOWN -- The Hagerstown Police Department was looking Friday night for a gunman accused of wounding his former girlfriend and fatally shooting another man early Friday.

During the early hours of the manhunt, police closed several Hagerstown streets as they searched for the gunman. Members of the Washington County Special Response Team checked out several homes and eight schools were partially locked down.

Police continued searching Friday night for Kevin Valentino Franklin, 38, of 322 S. Potomac St., second floor, Hagerstown. Franklin is charged in a warrant with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, attempted murder and other crimes, police said.

Franklin is accused of fatally shooting Larry Boyce Jr., 36, of 746 Summit Ave., rear apartment, Hagerstown, outside Boyce's apartment about 6:45 a.m.


Officers found Boyce in the driveway of 738 Summit Ave., police said. Hagerstown Police Department Sgt. Paul Kifer said the two addresses are next to each other.

Police alleged that Franklin also broke into Boyce's apartment and shot Franklin's ex-girlfriend, Amanda Turner.

Franklin forced Turner from the apartment and into a car, then sped away with her, dropping her off at the hospital before fleeing again, police said.

Police said Turner's injuries were not life-threatening. Kifer said she was shot twice and sustained injuries to her arm, hand and chest.

While driving away, Franklin struck a child, but the child was not injured, police said.

Police said Franklin has ties to the Frederick and Cumberland areas.

Members of Washington County's Special Response Team checked out houses on South Potomac and Sycamore streets as they investigated the shooting.

Kifer said many people called the police to say they had seen or heard part of what happened.

A man who lives in the 700 block of Summit Avenue said he ran outside after his girlfriend heard someone yelling "help me."

The man called 911 and walked up the street, when he heard a woman saying "help me."

He found the woman in need of help in an alley near 738 Summit Ave.

On Friday afternoon, he said when he looked down the alley, he saw a man with his hand on a woman, who was screaming. Three cars were parked in the alley, and shards of broken glass were on the ground near one of the cars, he said.

A pile of broken glass still was there Friday afternoon.

On Friday morning, officers had a car towed from the area of Sycamore Street. The car's left rear window had been broken out, and the vehicle had what one observer said was a bullet hole.

As the neighbor watched Friday morning, four police cars pulled in and several officers jumped out.

At that point, the man, with the woman in his car, must have driven out of the alley the back way, the neighbor said. Police went after him.

As police were pursuing the man, the neighbor saw a man's body near a chain-link fence on one side of the alley. The neighbor's tenant saw what he said he thought was a head wound on the victim.

He didn't know whether the man was alive, but the victim was taken out of the area by emergency responders, the neighbor said.

Other neighbors discussed what they saw and heard Friday morning.

Tim Flaherty, who lives in the 600 block of Summit Avenue, said his wife woke him at 6:45 a.m. and told him she heard three shots.

Flaherty said police arrived on the scene shortly after that.

Ruth Adkins, a resident of the 700 block of Summit Avenue, said she was walking her dogs when she heard one shot. Then, she said, she heard someone yell "no," then heard more shots.

A short while later, she said, she heard two more shots that seemed to come from farther away.

"This is one of the best parts of town," Flaherty said. A shooting was "not something that's synonymous with the area," he said.

Police closed several streets in the southern part of Hagerstown as they searched for the gunman.

Several nearby schools were partially locked down, according to Boyd Michael, assistant superintendent for school operations.

Bester, Emma K. Doub, Salem Avenue and Winter Street elementary schools, E. Russell Hicks and Western Heights Middle schools, and South Hagerstown and Washington County Technical high schools were involved in the partial lockdown Friday until shortly after 1 p.m., Michael said.

Staff writers Joshua Bowman and Dan Dearth contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles