Herald-Mail Forums

October 20, 2008

Last week's question

The best excuse for not voting in the upcoming national election is:

o My vote doesn't matter; once in, elected officials do whatever they want. - 31 votes (62 percent)

o I've been too busy to keep up with the issues. - 5 votes (10 percent)

o If I vote, they might call me for jury duty. - 1 votes (2 percent)

o Smarter people than me are more qualified to make the decisions. - 4 votes (8 percent)

o For me, freedom means the freedom not to believe in anything and the freedom not to get involved in political contests. - 9 votes (18 percent)

Comments

o Posted by fatcat, Oct. 11

No file income tax, no vote

o Posted by notlaffen, Oc t. 12

The best excuse is the major candidates, Biden, McCain, Obama, and Palin, do not inspire a great deal of enthusiasm or confidence. Although it is no secret that I have ruled out McCain and Palin, I also worry about how Obama and Biden would govern.

The candidates for the other parties and the independent candidates have no chance of being elected so, for me, my vote will go for Obama and Biden and I hope that they govern wisely. And I blame Bush, the worst president ever, for the overreaction the voters will soon display.

o Posted by justthink, Oct. 12

Mr. Unhappy: You are the one who once stated your affection and affirmation for the the phrase "he who governs best is he who governs least" ... by your patron Saint Paine. So, how could you vote Obama?? You think he will govern least??

o Posted by stilllearning, Oc t. 13

I selected the first response, although I do plan to vote. I have always voted for the Republicans, but this year I will fight back the nausea and vote for Barack Obama and that old hippie Joe Biden. The two issues that will make me vote for those sleazy, immoral Democrats are Social Security and health insurance. I will do this, although I have little faith that the Democrats can will do what they say.

o Posted by azurewinds94, Oc t. 14

I always vote, but to participate, I chose the second answer because I think if you are going to cast a ballot, you should at least keep up with the issues and what is going on in the country today. To cast a ballot without any sense of what it's all about is irresponsible, in my opinion.

o Posted by notlaffen, Oct. 14

It is very easy to vote for Obama/Biden when the only other candidates that have any chance of winning are McCain/Palin. This is not even a close election, thanks to the very poor choice the Republicans made in the primary elections.

And please don't confuse me with unhappy - just because I'm not a smiling, back-slapping, club-going socialite doesn't mean that I'm unhappy. In fact, I am happy that I don't have to put up with all the false camaraderie that so many others can't seem to live without.

o Posted by notlaffen, Oct. 14

During my lifetime, the Democratic presidents have been: Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. All in all not a bad lineup and surprise, surprise - the country survived. I have changed my mind - flip/flopped - there is no best excuse for not voting for either the best candidate or for the major candidate that will do the least damage to the country.

o Posted by hadenuff, Oct. 14

Plumber to Obama: "Your new tax plan is going to tax me more. Isn't it?" Obama: "It's not that I want to punish your success, I just want to make sure that everybody that is behind you, that they have a chance for success, too. I think that when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."

o Posted by stilllearning, Oct. 15

Vote: Democratic (Socialist?) "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!" Louis Blanc-1840 "I think that when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." Barack Obama-2008

o Posted by coasterfanatic, Oct. 16

Truly in Maryland, your vote never counts because the leftists outnumber the Rights two-to-one, therefore, you are stuck with the status quo. Time for term limits.

Next week's question

Assuming that you watched one or more of the presidential debates, what did you learn that affected your desire to vote for one or the other candidate?

o Their positions on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

o Their positions on the U.S. economy.

o Their positions on abortion.

o I missed the debates. Will there be repeats?

The Herald-Mail Articles