Blue Devils own fourth quarter to trip Indians

October 11, 2008

GREENCASTLE, Pa. -- With the score tied 21-21 through three quarters, Greencastle-Antrim scored a pair of touchdowns in the final 12 minutes to pull out a 35-21 win over Susquehanna Township on Friday night in a Pennsylvania high school football game.

Greencastle-Antrim remained undefeated at 7-0 with the win.

Just 51 seconds into the fourth quarter, six-foot freshman fullback Tyler Szaflarski scored his second touchdown of the game on a 1-yard run through the middle to give Greencastle the lead for good.

On the Blue Devils' next possession, sophomore running back Devin Shaeffer dashed along the left side for a 25-yard touchdown run with 7:29 remaining in the game to put Greencastle up by two touchdowns.

"It was a huge win," Greencastle coach Chuck Tinninis said. "It was like a heavyweight bout. We started to take charge in the second half. I thought that our offensive line controlled the line of scrimmage. We were able to execute on offense. We came through with a few play action passes."


Tinninis also thought that his team was doing the necessary things on defense.

"We made some adjustments when they went to the no-huddle and empty backfield," Tinninis added. "They had some athletes, but our kids stepped up. We hung in there and we did the job."

Greencastle senior quarterback Adam Ritchey ended up with 107 passing yards.

The Blue Devils had a well-balanced running game as junior Brandon Trefelner gained 72 yards, senior Seth Shindle got 70 yards, Szaflarski added 64 yards and Shindle had 49 yards.

Greencastle junior kicker Nathan Pool made all five of his extra-point kick attempts.

Susquehanna Township quarterback Ben Dupree came through with three touchdown passes, 220 passing yards and 78 rushing yards.

Indians' kicker Max Pensiaro made all three of his extra-point kick attempts.

Susquehanna Township got on the scoreboard first with 6:28 to go in the first quarter on Dupree's 41-yard touchdown pass to Tajh Turner.

Just 1:02 later, Greencastle tied the score on Szaflarski's 16-yard touchdown run.

Just 1:35 after that, the Indians got another touchdown on Dupree's 24-yard pass to Richard Greene as they led 14-7 at the end of the first quarter.

The Blue Devils scored two touchdowns in the second quarter to take a 21-14 halftime lead on a 4-yard run by Trefelner and a 45-yard run by Shindle.

The Indians got a touchdown just 4:03 into the third quarter on a 25-yard pass from Dupree to Dre Purdy to even the score at 21-21.

"Greencastle has some experienced players and some of them have been three-year starters," Susquehanna Township coach Joseph Headen said. "They took advantage of our mistakes tonight and they just flat out beat us. They are very well-disciplined."

The Herald-Mail Articles