Barvir uses his head to give Leopards win

October 08, 2008|By LARRY YANOS

CLEAR SPRING -- Junior striker Joe Barvir scored in the final seconds of the match Tuesday, lifting the Smithsburg boys soccer team to a 2-1 win over Clear Spring.

The score was tied at 1 at halftime and remained that way until the final minute when Barvir's dramatic shot from in front of the goal decided the MVAL Antietam contest.

Smithsburg (4-4-1, 2-0), playing without Andrew Fowkes and Steve Kretzer, had problems generating any offense in the first half but completely dominated the final 40 minutes -- wasting numerous scoring opportunities before finally getting the ball past Clear Spring goalkeeper Ryan Cooper.

"We weren't playing Smithsburg soccer in the first half," said Leopards coach Stan Wade. "We stepped up the tempo in the second half and controlled things. We had our chances before Barvir came through with the big goal."


Clear Spring's Matt Blair opened the scoring with a goal in the 10th minute and Smithsburg's Zach Carson retaliated less than two minutes later to even matters.

The teams went into the defensive mode before Barvir decided the issue.

Senior striker Anthony Gibson dished the ball to Barvir on the left side and he scored on a header past Cooper.

"Gibson made a great assist there," Wade said.

Clear Spring coach Mark Myers was upset with the stunning defeat.

"Very disappointing," Myers said. "This is not the first time that we've allowed a late goal like that. I thought we were very unemotional starting the game and Smithsburg brought the game to us. They were physical and we left them get away with it. They controlled the second half, for sure."

Smithsburg played without Kretzer (flu) and Fowkes (sprained ankle), while Carson did not start because he was battling the flu.

The remainder of the squad delivered. Wade cited the play of freshman striker Clayton Layman as a key contributor to the victory.

"We wanted to play up-tempo and play a lot quicker but we fell into a trap and didn't get it done in the first half," Wade said. "We did a much better job in the second half."

The Herald-Mail Articles