South blasts Blazers, 47-2

October 04, 2008|by LARRY YANOS

South Hagerstown High School scored a first-quarter touchdown on a first-and-goal from the 40-yard line, then proceeded to overwhelm Clear Spring, 47-2, on Friday night.

Clear Spring (2-3) received the opening kickoff, but went three-and-out before South Hagerstown (3-2) went to work.

The Rebels started from their own 44-yard line and eventually moved to the Clear Spring 1-yard line.

An illegal procedure call, a bad snap from center to the quarterback and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty found South Hagerstown on the 40-yard line.

Rebels' quarterback Nick Gross threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Cory Shank and the team was on its way to a lopsided win.

"We wanted to establish the passing game early," South Hagerstown coach Greg Kellick said.

South Hagerstown used balance on offense -- seven different players scored touchdowns -- and a stifling defense to completely control the game.


It was 33-0 at halftime, and the running clock was put in use when the Rebels scored another touchdown with 9:39 remaining in the third quarter.

Gross riddled the Clear Spring defense all night and sophomore Nick Stubbs -- just elevated from the junior varsity squad -- provided the offensive spark with a terrific performance.

"They played very well," Kellick said. "We connected on some big plays tonight. It's time to get going. We're facing the meat of the schedule now (Frederick, Smithsburg and Middletown on the horizon), and we need to play well."

While he talked about the many standout performances and was annoyed by too many penalties, Kellick lauded the work of Stubbs and Gross, who each scored a touchdown.

"We decided to bring (Stubbs) up from the junior varsity squad and he really provided a spark," Kellick said. "His enthusiasm and his work ethic in practice rubbed off on the team and we came out ready to play tonight."

The coach also praised the work of Gross.

"He has come a long way," Kellick said of the senior. "He's staying in the pocket more now than he was earlier in the season and has established himself. He can make the reads and, once he learns to pick out secondary receivers, he will really be tough. In my 31 years of coaching, I've never had a passing attack like this."

The Clear Spring offense finally moved to the 1-yard line in the closing two minutes of the game, but running back James Mills was stopped short of the goal line on fourth-and-goal.

A few seconds later, the Blazers' defense tackled South Hagerstown reserve quarterback Michael Moroz in the end zone for their only points of the game.

Clear Spring has been outscored, 94-2, in its last two contests.

The Herald-Mail Articles