Advertisement

Wood stove to blame for shed fire in St. Thomas

October 03, 2008

ST. THOMAS, Pa. - A wood stove used to heat water in a shed was blamed for a fire that destroyed the shed and damaged a house Friday morning, Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal Jeffrey Sarver said.

The fire at the home of Bennie S. Lapp at 127 School House Road was called in at 8:51 a.m., St. Thomas Fire Chief Mark Straley said. It took about 10 minutes for firefighters to bring it under control, he said.

Lapp said he had been tending the stove a few minutes before the fire, which melted the fiberglass igloo-shaped shed and caught the rear of the house on fire. The stove was used to heat a kettle of water for washing, he said.

The fire spread into the ceiling of the rear wing of the house, Sarver said. Once electrical service to that part of the house was cut, Lapp and his family were able to stay in the undamaged portion of the house, he said.

Advertisement

Firefighters from the Franklin, New Franklin, Marion and Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren fire companies also went to the scene, along with the Franklin County Emergency Air Unit.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|